May 7, 2003

Hebrews 11:8 "By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive as an inheritance. And he went out, NOT KNOWING WHERE HE WAS GOING."

You ever wanted something that you had every logical reason to want but God said no? This "thing" was perfect... even godly. If you had it, no one would have thought badly of you for it, or anything like that. In fact, they may have congradulated you on finding something so good. But regardless of how good that thing was, God still told you no. That's exactly what I feel like I'm going through right now. And let me tell you, it's much harder to understand why God says no when what you're wanting is not something bad. I quoted the Hebrews verse because I think it exemplifies how we feel sometimes... the future is invisible to us. We have no idea what's coming. But that's where the concept of faith comes in. Faith is saying, like Abraham, "I'm going forward because God wants me to, but I have no idea where I'm going." One of my favorite quotes from a book I have read is, "the GOOD in life often becomes the enemy of the BEST in life." (I can't think of which book it is, but I'll try to find out and post it later this week.) When we see something good, we want to reach out and grab hold of it before it "slips away," but God doesn't necessarily want us to take the GOOD because if we do, we'll miss out on the BEST, which may be coming a little further down the line. Proverbs 13:12 says "Hope deferred maketh the heart sick: but when the desire cometh, it is a tree of life." Hope, and therefore faith, is often difficult; it can make you "heartsick," as the verse says. But if you hold on, it blossems into something wonderful ("a tree of life"). Isaiah 42:9 says "Behold, the former things have come to pass, and new things I declare; BEFORE THEY SPRING FORTH I TELL YOU OF THEM." If we can have the faith just to let go of our circumstances, God already knows what's coming. Easy? No. Necessary? Yes. Here's a few more verses that I feel relate pretty well.

Acts 1:7 "And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power."

Psalm 27:14 "Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say on the Lord."

James 1:5 "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him."

No comments: