Aug 14, 2003

Words to a song...
I don't know the title or who sings it, but I hear it all the time on the radio. I'm not even sure if these are all the words, but they're the ones I like and the ones I could remember!

You are my God; I seek You.
My soul thirsts for You.

In a dry and weary land, You are my water.

Your steadfast love is better than life.


My favorite part is the last line, which repeats over and over in the song. Steadfast is such a great word. It reminds me of things like "sturdy" and "stable" and "everlasting" and "constant" and "consistant" and "unrelenting" all rolled into one. [My favorite subject is English... can you tell?!] Webster says:

steadfast adj. 1. fixed in direction; steadily directed. 2. firm in purpose, resolution, faith, etc. 3. unwavering, as resolution, faith, or adherence. 4. firmly established, as an institution or a state of affairs. 5. firmly fixed in place or position; stable.

Are we getting the point? God's not going to fail us. His love for us is steadfast. He refuses to give up. He's stubborn, in a good way. We tend to think that because a situation changes that God is going to change with it. (We never consciously admit that this is what we believe, but it really is. That's why we get so worried and lose faith.) We should make a point to remind ourselves daily that God does not change, no matter what else does. No matter how many times we change our minds --no matter how many times our PARENTS change their minds-- God does not change. Good to know, huh?

No comments: