Jul 7, 2004

nutrition...

An additional benefit to me of staying with the Briants for the summer is that Marti has decided to change the way the family eats. She's going healthy in every possible way. We've started eating lots of fruits and veggies. A few weeks ago we started this grain drink thing... it's not as bad as it sounds! What it is is 14 different kinds of whole grains mixed together, and you take 1-3 tablespoons of the mixture and grind them up (in a little coffee grinder thing) and add them to juice or a fruit smoothie or whatever. Okay, so if you add it to juice you still have to like chew up the grains once you get to the bottom of the glass, but it works a lot better in smoothies. And speaking of fruit smoothies, that has been my breakfast almost every day. I blend frozen strawberries, frozen banana, and organic apple juice together every morning. Sometimes I do other fruits, like right now I'm drinking a strawberry and blueberry one. And the newest thing Marti has done is purchase a bread-maker. The key part of making healthy bread is that you also get a grinder and grind your own flour because white flour that you get from the grocery store is bad for you. So yesterday was the first day of grinding flour and making bread. It's really easy to make and it's really good. There's only like 7 ingredients in it, and all you do is put the ingredients in the machine and it makes the bread for you. We also made some muffins with the "new" flour last night. They are yummy! They're sweetened with honey instead of sugar, so that's an added health benifit. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I move out in a month and a half. By then I'll know how bad most foods are for you and I won't want to eat them! I can take the smoothie idea back with me, and the fruits and veggies, and maybe even the grains, but I'm a poor college student and can't afford a grinder and a bread maker! So I plan to give the health food store in St. Augustine a visit and see if they sell any healthy bread, among other things that I will be looking for. Anyway, for now I'm glad I've had someone to encourage me to eat healthy. I believe that eating healthy is one way in which I can honor God in my body, so if I keep that in mind I will have more of a reason to stay consistent. That's all for now. I'll write again when I discover something else! Later.

No comments: