Jul 8, 2004

wishful thinking...

You've heard of "Christmas in July" right? Well, I'm starting my Christmas list in July. Top of the list is a bread maker and grinder! I made garlic rolls for dinner tonight and they were sooooo good! Actually, I prefer them without the garlic butter, but garlic is healthy for you, so I ate a little. Tomorrow or Saturday we're making our own pizza crust. And today we discovered how to make really good pasta sauce (not with the bread maker, however). I included it in our turkey lasagna tonight. Very yummy. I'm getting a little nervous about all this healthy food, however, because Marti got the "Eat to Live" book she ordered in the mail yesterday, and it sounds super strict. I'm talkin' like hardly any meat, no pasta, no oil (unless you weigh 99 lbs. and then you're allowed one teaspoon a day! no joke.), no sugar, and the list goes on. Marti is convinced that it's not a "diet" it's a "way of life," which is all true if you stick to it for the rest of your life. But personally, eating such a limited selection of things would get awefully boring very quickly, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't stick with it for long. My personal approach to food is "anything in moderation," which I know sounds cliche, but that's really how I feel. I'm not going to cut anything completely out of my diet. If I want a slice of chocolate cake once in a while, I'm going to have it. But not three slices, or a slice every day for two weeks. And I'm not going to cut carbs out to the point that I eat a sandwich wrapped in lettuce instead of bread. That's just rediculous. And I'm not cutting meat completely out because my grandmother is 85 and still going strong after eating meat with every meal of her entire life. Besides, I am a firm believer that it is better to enjoy your life and live it to the fullest than to be completely consumed with what it is that you're supposed to or not supposed to eat while hating every minute of it. So what if you weigh 5 pounds over what your ideal weight is, as long as you love life and everything about it. Like I said the other day, I believe eating healthy is honoring to God, but if it becomes your focus, it becomes your idol, and that's definitely not right.

So, that's my little rant for today. I guess that's what has been pinned up in me for the last several hours! Now, I'm looking forward to leading a Bible study on Ruth tonight with the girls... in about 40 minutes. Later.

No comments: