May 21, 2003

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR....

you just might get it! That's something I've been learning from the Children of Israel in the book of Numbers. First, as I posted about before, they "wished" for meat to eat instead of manna. Actually, they complained and begged for it. So, God gave them meat till they were sick of it. Later on, they say to God, "we would rather die in this wilderness than travel any further." So, God once again grants their wish. He tells them that they will stay in the wilderness for 40 years and will die there.

In the midst of our complaining, we often ask for things without thinking about what it is that we're really asking for, or the consequences of having those things. I've been reminded this week to stop my complaining and be thankful for what God is doing in my life. And when I keep asking for something, it better be what I really want! I've decided it's often better just to ask for God's will to be done, rather than asking for specifics. He has a much better idea of what we need than we do! For that matter, He has a much better idea of what we WANT than we do! We think we know what we want... until we have it; then it turns out not to be what we wanted after all. Let Him have control. And, be careful what you wish for!

No comments: