May 15, 2003

This is a portion of something I wrote in my journal back on March 2. I told a friend I would post these lyrics, but they deserve a little into.

This morning I heard Sara Groves "Painting Pictures of Egypt." It talks about leaving Egypt for the Promised Land, but along the way we start thinking that Egypt wasn't so bad and we want to go back. BUT thank God, He doesn't let us go back. But, as the song points out, He might let us stay in the desert for a while so that we will recognize and appreciate the Promised Land when we reach it. The desert only emphasizes the awesomeness of the Promised Land. Wow.

here's the lyrics

"Painting Pictures of Egypt" by Sara Groves

I don't want to leave here;
I don't want to stay.
It feels like pinching to me either way.
And the places I long for the most
Are the places where I've been.
They are calling out to me like a long lost friend.

It's not about losing faith;
It's not about trust.
It's all about comfortable
When you move so much.
And the place I was wasn't perfect
But I had found a way to live.
And it wasn't milk or honey
But then neither is this.

I've been painting pictures of Egypt,
Leaving out what it lacked.
The future feels so hard
And I want to go back.
But the places that used to fit me
Cannot hold the things I've learned.
And those roads were closed off to me
While my back was turned.

The past is so tangible;
I know it by heart.
Familiar things are never easy to discard.
I was dying for some freedom,
But now I hesitate to go,
I am caught between the promise
And the things I know. (chorus)

If it comes too quick
I may not appreciate it.
Is that the reason behind all this time and sand?
If it comes too quick
I may not recognize it.
Is that the reason behind all this time and sand?

No comments: