Jul 11, 2003

A Place Called Hope
Words & Music by Jason Gay & Tim Helmen * March 2000

I’m not proud to confess
I know the back streets of Shame too well
Or that I’ve spent more than a couple nights in Disgrace
On the floor of a cheap motel
Spent three years laid out,
Laid out on the streets of Revelry
Just stopped in for a few drinks when I got lost
In a place the locals call Misery
Lord don’t you know I mean it, yes I mean it this time
When I say a new address would be suiting me fine

In a place called Hope
A place called Hope
Don’t you bother to come looking for me
In the places where I used to be
I am bound for a place called Hope

I quit town and drove all night
And even made it as far as Regret
By sunrise I was well past Good Intentions
But I found that I wasn’t there yet
Too proud to ask for some direction
So sure I would find it on my own
I just kept pressing on til I ended up
In the middle of Nowhere, all alone
Broken upon the place where all make-believe dies
I finally gave up, and that’s when it took me by surprise

This place called Hope
A place called Hope
Don’t you bother to come looking for me
In the places where I used to be
I’ve been found by a place called Hope

Now don’t get me wrong
The sun still goes down around here
And it’s cold in the dark
But that’s when the stars appear
Can’t you see them shining down

On a place called Hope
A place called Hope
It don’t matter where you’ve been before
There’s always room here for one more
Come on home to a place
Where you never have to be afraid to show your face, child
I’m talking about a place called Hope...

No comments: