Feb 8, 2005

diminished mental capacity...

I was sitting in class today (or I think it was in class) and I thought of a topic on which I would post while I was at work today. But of course, as you may have assumed by now, I cannot remember what in the world I was going to write about.

wait....

I REMEMBER!

Fears. I was going to write about fears. I was in my Introduction to Exceptionality class, where we study various types of impairments, whether mental, physical, emotional, et cetera, and I realized (not for the first time) that one of the scariest things I could imagine happening is being pregnant and being told my child would be born with a disability (of any kind). I guess that's just because everybody has these dreams and expectations of what their child will be like, and you never really consider the possibility that your child won't be perfect. Scary. I fear it in the sense that all females fear being violently raped: you don't generally think about it, nor do you actually think there is a great possibility of it happening, yet when the idea is entertained, it is very scary. That analogy leads me to a third fear: becoming pregnant from a rape. I can only imagine that that would be one of the hardest things in the world to deal with. What would you do? By no means would I ever consider abortion to be an option, but what about adoption? For me, I think it would be wrong to give up the baby for adoption because I would be perfectly capable of giving the child a decent home. Yes, it would be incredibly hard, at least for a period of time, to have a baby who constantly reminded me of the horrible event that led to her existence, but I don't believe that is reasonable cause for me to give her up and risk her being shuffled along through "the system" for years to come, with the possible final outcome of being stuck in a bad home. No. I would definitely have to keep her no matter what. I just can't imagine.... So scary.

Okay, so I apologize for the randomness of this post. And for the "weirdness" level. Just following my train of thought, random as it may be.

No comments: