Jun 7, 2005

a post, in two parts, take two...

I just got done writing up this post and then when I hit the publish button there was an error and it didn't publish, nor did it save. I hate that. And it only happens with posts that I'm really excited about posting. Not that this one is really important or anything, but I was still in the mood to post it. So here goes take two. Hopefully it will be as good as the first go-around. I have made myself a pb&j to ease the pain of having to re-type it!

The first part of this post is a little random. Over the past few days some random quotes have stuck out in my mind, all relating to the feelings associated with being in love. I just thought I'd share some of them with you. I relate to them. They make me smile.

One of the amazing things about Rachel was that I wanted to kiss her every time she was talking about something interesting, which was all the time. It was sexy. It was weird.

-Will (Hugh Grant), "About a Boy"



I'm thinking it's a sign that the freckles in our eyes are mirror images and when we kiss they're perfectly aligned. I have to speculate that God Himself did make us into corresponding shapes like puzzle pieces from the clay.

-"Such Great Heights" by Postal Service (I don't actually know who wrote the song, but the Postal Service does one version of it. Rob can tell me who deserves the actual credit for it.)


****

I really like hymns. I was thinking about that a little this weekend. Tonight I was flipping through a book of hymns that I have and singing through some of them. I like doing that sometimes. It reminds me of songs I haven't thought of in a while, and it's a fun way to spend some time with God. I find myself drawn to songs (whether praise choruses or hymns) that talk about nature or creation worshipping God and showing His glory. Tonight I was stopped by "This is My Father's World." I didn't sing this song much growing up that I remember. I first came across it when I got a Chris Rice CD where he plays a bunch of old hymns on the piano. I liked the tune, so I looked it up in a hymn book to learn the words. Here it is.

This is my Father's world,
And to my list'ning ears
All nature sings, and round me rings
The music of the spheres.
This is my Father's world!
I rest me in the thought
Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas
His hand the wonders wrought.

This is my Father's world
The birds their carols raise;
The morning light, the lily white,
Declare their Maker's praise.
This is my Father's world!
He shines in all that's fair;
In the rustling grass I hear Him pass
He speaks to me everywhere.

This is my Father's world
O let me ne'er forget
That tho the wrong seems oft so strong
God is the Ruler yet.
This is my Father's world!
The battle is not done;
Jesus who died shall be satisfied,
And earth and heav'n be one.

No comments: